National Geographic Educator Certification  is a professional development program for Pre-K-12 educators with a desire to teach students about the world and how it works in innovative ways.

I was certified as a Nat Geo Educator in June of 2017 and became a trainer soon after. I highly encourage any educators to pursue this avenue of free professional development. Not only is it now a requirement for Grosvenor Teacher Fellow applicants, the program connects you to a growing community and ideas for promoting geographic literacy in your classroom.

There are three phases to becoming certified: the workshop, two activities, and a capstone project. The workshop can be completed online or in person. I was trained in person, but found it useful to watch the online version several times while completing the activities and capstone project. Joining the Google+ community, which was created for those in the program, is very useful for gaining ideas for my classroom as well as guidance on all three phases.

You can connect with this wonderful community of educators right away on the Nat Geo Educators Google+ community. Even if you don’t end up becoming certified… it is an excellent resource for ideas and collaboration.

This program has been such a great experience that I need to share it with others. I’d be happy to answer any questions about the program and workshop opportunities.

Schedule a Workshop Today!